The amount of support that you will need in setting up a squad will very much depend on the experience of those involved.
Ask permission from a senior member of staff to put a poster up on a notice board, advertising that you are hoping to set up a riding team. Ask for potential members to sign up.
- Find a member of staff who either has an interest in horses, or at least someone who supports your idea. (could be a member of the P.E Staff or a member of staff who has ridden in the past)
- Go to the Head Teacher with a list of pupils and supporting teacher. Ask his/her permission to set up a team or to ride as an individual.
- Following his/her agreement, elect a Riding Captain (pupil).
- We suggest that you find a qualified Riding Instructor who could hold practices and help to select teams for competitions (this person can then be the Team Trainer)
- With your Supporting Teacher and with the agreement of the Head, set up a meeting for potential riders and their parents in order to plan any competitions you wish to attend. You may wish to include practice times, dates of competitions, financial implications (do parents or the school pay for entry fees/ training?) etc. Parents need to agree to be present at events and responsible for their own child at competitions and practices.
- Establish who will be the Team Manager, as they will need to complete the online membership application via the NSEA website. They may also appoint two Team Assistants.
IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE SCHOOL TO DO ANY NECESSARY DBS CHECKS ON ANY TEAM MANAGERS/PARENTS AND TRAINERS WHO ARE INVOLVED WITH THEIR RIDING SQUAD.
IN ORDER TO COMPETE IN ANY OF THE INTER-SCHOOL EQUESTRIAN COMPETITIONS LISTED ON THE NSEA WEBSITE, YOUR SCHOOL NEEDS TO AFFILIATE TO THE NSEA.