The amount of support that you will need in setting up a squad will very much depend on the experience of those involved.
Ask permission from a senior member of staff to put a poster up on a notice board, advertising that you are hoping to set up a riding team. Ask for potential members to sign up.
- Find a member of staff who either has an interest in horses, or at least someone who supports your idea. (could be a member of the P.E Staff or a member of staff who has ridden in the past)
- Go to the Head Teacher with a list of pupils and supporting teacher. Ask his/her permission to set up a team. Give him/her the NSEA Membership form to complete.
- Following his/her agreement, elect a Riding Captain (pupil).
- We recommend that you find a qualified Riding Instructor who is prepared to hold practices and help to select teams for competitions (this person can then be the Team Trainer)
- With your Supporting Teacher and with the agreement of the Head, send out a form to each rider’s parents explaining what you are aiming for, practice times, dates of competitions, financial implications (do parents or the school pay for entry fees/ training?) etc. There must be a return slip on the form that parents must sign, agreeing to be present and responsible for their own child at competitions and practices.
- Make sure that the Team Trainer you have chosen is able to go along to competitions with the team, walk the course and advise each team member on how to ride it.
- Send in the NSEA Membership Application Form. Your school will be given a Membership Number and Membership Badges for the Team Manager/s and riding squad members . You can then enter competitions.
IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE SCHOOL TO DO ANY NECESSARY DBS CHECKS ON ANY TEAM MANAGERS/PARENTS AND TRAINERS WHO ARE INVOLVED WITH THEIR RIDING SQUAD.
IN ORDER TO COMPETE IN ANY OF THE INTER-SCHOOL EQUESTRIAN COMPETITIONS LISTED ON THE NSEA WEBSITE, YOUR SCHOOL NEEDS TO AFFILIATE TO THE NSEA.
Go to the Membership page on the website, print off the relevant information including the Membership Application Form, and give to your Head Teacher to complete.